Monday, February 18, 2013

The Prequel to Lent a.k.a. The Basketball Player

I am certain that through my blog posts you ladies have gotten to know me a little bit here. And while the last post (40 Days of Sacrifice: Lent Single Girl Style) was a little out of the ordinary for me, you will understand where I'm going with that once I provide you with a little background.

The last few months have been crazy to say the least. Right around the holidays I met this really awesome guy (don't they all start that way?) and we hit it off right away. He lived 2 hours away, but we made the effort to see each other when we could and actually had a lot of fun getting to know each other. His schedule didn't allow him to travel much outside of his city, so I found myself in his town a lot.Yes, I actually squeezed all of that in my hectic work/travel/grad school schedule. Why? Because I really liked spending my time with the guy. Around the New Year you can imagine my elation when he asked me to be his girlfriend. 

Could it really be? A nice, good-looking, genuine guy who really wanted to do this with me! Ehhhhhhh....flash forward four weeks and I'm in the middle of one of my whirl wind travel tours...I'm talking four different states in a matter of seven days (hellllloooo frequent flyer miles). I just worked through the weekend with no time off at a sales conference and caught the next Delta flight from Florida to Atlanta where I'd be for a few days before heading off to Colorado. The Basketball Player and I skyped for an hour or so that afternoon and caught up on everything. It was great....so imagine my shock when I got a TEXT MESSAGE from him around 10PM that read something like this:

"Hey there. I just wanted to let you know that I don't have strong enough feelings for you to be in a long distance relationship. I think you are a great girl, but I just don't want all of the responsibility it takes to be a committed boyfriend right now, because I just don't have the time. My plate is really full. I really still want to be friends. I know you had planned on coming down to visit next weekend, and I would really still like it if you came."

WTF?! First of all, who does this over a text message? Grow some balls for goodness sake! Second, how much "responsibility" could I possibly be? I lived two hours away from this idiot! Third, yes you read that right. He broke up with me in a text message, AND STILL wanted me to drive two hours out of my way to come see him!!!

My reaction: "Ain't nobody got time for this"...thank you sweet brown (I ran out and didn't grab no shoes or nothing, Jesus). I've got enough friends, and let me just say they would NEVER deliver bad news through a text message. Didn't your mama raise you right??

Not upset...just plain annoyed. Not to mention this had to be the world's shortest relationship ever. Word to the wise...don't ask a girl to be exclusive unless you are really ready to do it. Otherwise you are wasting her time...and there are too many good looking men to dance with, fabulous shoes to be bought, and cities to be conquered to be wasting precious time.

Cupid Sucks,
singleintheswamp

No comments:

Post a Comment