Thursday, November 1, 2012

The Event Promoter

Alright ya'll, it's time to get serious. I need a few moments to be candid here about the guy I'm going to call the "Event Promoter". Like I said before, he was my first mis-adventure in the online dating world. As expected, the first date was filled with small talk and witty remarks (on my part) as we each attempted to get to know the complete stranger sitting across from us at the table.

We met at a local coffee shop here in Gainesville, and I must say, I was looking quite fabulous that night (skinnies, new blouse, cute ballet flats, amazing hair -- you get the picture). We met on a week night and after some playful banter, a very nice latte, and a few hours had passed, I headed home feeling like I had slam dunked my first online date. This was going to be a piece of cake right? Ha!

The Event Promoter called the next day, like any good gentleman, to ask if he could take me out on, what I would call, a "real" date. You know the kind I'm talking about ladies, the ones you put your good stilettos and real effort into. I was traveling at the end of the week for work, so when he asked if I was available Saturday night, I politely declined, but offered up another night the following week as an alternative. He agreed (no surprise here) so we went about the next few days exchanging a few text messages (and one other phone call), but nothing too over the top...and this is where things got super weird (talk about fast - this was a record even for me).

I received a text message from the Event Promoter telling me that he had something very important that he felt he needed to tell me (at this point, I'm in Chicago, Dallas, San Fran --- insert city here because I can't keep up anymore). I was busy (obviously) so after not hearing from me for an hour or so (yes -- i kid you not), he proceeds to send me this lengthy text message that goes something like this:

"Hey, I just wanted to let you know that I'm going to the doctor on Monday and there's a really good chance that I have cancer. I don't want to freak you out, but I just really need you to be there for me on this one."

This is the part where my jaw hit the floor and these are the thoughts that proceeded to run through my head --
(1) Wow...
(2) We've been on one date.
(3) Be there for him? I don't even know him. What the hell??
(4) This really sucks. I genuinely hope he's okay. (see--I'm not a total bitch)

All of this followed by my reply, "I hope that everything turns out okay. Please keep me posted and I will say a little prayer for you in the meantime."

Now for the kicker...Monday comes around and the real truth comes out. The Event Promoter wrote me to tell me that he actually had an appointment with a dermatologist...to have a mole removed.

Who does this?!?! Please don't get me wrong here, I'm definitely sympathetic to someone who has cancer and have dealt with it (on more than one occasion) within my own family. But holy crap, what kind of dude throws down something like this to a girl he just met and then basically follows up with "I might have been exaggerating a little here". Did this seriously just happen to me?

So, here's the part where I bestow some of my "worldly" dating wisdom upon you: if a boy ever throws down any kind of heavy information like this after one date, run. Run like hell, in the opposite direction as fast as your gorgeous, stiletto wearing legs will move you. Because I can promise you, that boy landed in the online dating world for a reason and he just gave you a sneak peek at why.

me: 0    vs.   online creepers: 1

Want to really make a killing Apple? Try inventing an "undo" app for life instead of trying to sell me a new iphone every other month.

Cupid Sucks,
singleintheswamp




No comments:

Post a Comment